Carlee Potter and Craig Simms are the technical writing team at Campaign Monitor, a SaaS email marketing application (and my former employer). Over the last year, Carlee and Craig have rebuilt, redesigned, and migrated the Campaign Monitor help documentation from an internally built tool into Salesforce’s Service Cloud knowledge base.
In this interview:
- The difficulties of writing “white label” help documentation
- How they measure whether their documents are working or not
- Why they decided to rewrite almost 400 documents
- Their challenge in getting management budget and attention for the project
- The development and design of their new knowledge base
- Their suggestions for anyone considering a similar project
Links & resources
- Campaign Monitor Help — This is the publicly viewable version of their new knowledge base.
- Yoda — Campaign Monitor’s internally built knowledge base system.
- Write The Docs — Events and community for technical writers.
- Every Page is Page One — Mark Baker’s book on topic-based technical writing.
- Brackets — The text editor Craig and Carlee use to edit help content.
- Docs — Help Scout’s knowledge base software solution.